Do you guys realize that STARS ABOVE: A Lunar Chronicles Collection comes out in just THREE WEEKS?! It feels like Winter just came out yesterday!! (But for once, I’m so grateful that I don’t have to ask you guys to wait too long for the next book, ha!)
In celebration of the TRUE conclusion of The Lunar Chronicles (i.e., the epilogue short story “Something Old, Something New,” which includes a wedding), I’m hosting a little giveaway.
Just a complete signed set of The Lunar Chronicles.
That’s right. All six books – CINDER, SCARLET, CRESS, WINTER, FAIREST, and STARS ABOVE – could be yours! And the best part… it’s open internationally! You have three ways to enter – via Instagram and TheLunarChronicles.com, Pinterest, or Twitter. So share away, enter like mad, and good luck!!
#StarsAboveIsComing <~ Hmm. This just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Slightly behind schedule, but finally, here is my annual end-of-year reading post, where I analyze last year’s reading stats and look ahead to some books I’m looking forward to in the coming months. 2015 saw a severe decline in my reading time (56 books down from 100 in 2014!), but that happens with babies, so I actually feel pretty great for having read even that many. Seriously, thank heavens for audiobooks!! And also long flights during book tours…
Besides, if I was including picture books, this list would be much longer. By the way: Love Monster. So. Stinking. Cute!
All right, let’s get started with some numbers…
MY 2015 READING STATS
Total books read: 56
Breakdown by Genre:
Graphic Novels: 10
Middle Grade: 4
Fiction, not YA: 8
Further broken down into…
Thriller: 1 (evidently The Martian is classified as a thriller… I would have said space adventure, but whatever)
Young Adult: 28
Further broken down into…
Science-Fiction: 5 (but to be fair, 4 of them were mine…)
Contemporary Romance: 4
Contemporary Fiction: 3
The Never-Easy-to-Choose Top 10 Favorite Books of 2015
Alpha by author
1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
2. White Cat (and the Curse Workers Trilogy) by Holly Black
3. A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody
4. Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler
5. Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
6. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
7. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
8. The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
9. The Martian by Andy Weir
10. The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang and Sonny Liew (graphic novel)
And the Top 10 Books I’m Determined to Read in 2016
Alpha by author
1. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
2. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
3. The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell
4. The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima*
5. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
6. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow*
7. Screenplay by Syd Field
8. The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
9. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
10. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
* These two were actually on my “determined to read in 2015” list, but they were both trapped in storage until last week! This year, they’re at the top of the list.
MY COMPLETE 2015 READING LIST
1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
2. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
3. We Can Work It Out by Elizabeth Eulberg
4. Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers
5. After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
6. Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg
7. Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross
8. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
9. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black (audiobook)
10. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
11. Cinder by Me!
12. Scarlet by Me!
13. Cress by Me!
14. Fairest by Me!
15. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (audiobook)
16. The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics by Dennis O’Neil
17. Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams (graphic novel)
18. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting (audiobook)
19. White Cat by Holly Black (audiobook)
20. Red Glove by Holly Black (audiobook)
21. Black Heart by Holly Black (audiobook)
22. The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang and Sonny Liew (graphic novel)
23. Dave Ramsey’s Guide to Money by Dave Ramsey
24. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
25. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
26. Wonder Woman: Blood by Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, and Tony Akins (graphic novel)
27. Justice League: Origin by Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams (graphic novel)
28. Alanna by Tamora Pierce
29. The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
30. The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough
31. Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler
32. Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein
33. Adapted for Film by Stacey Rourke
34. Siren’s Fury by Mary Weber
35. Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, adapted by Stacy King, illustrated by Po-Tse (graphic novel)
36. Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy
37. Serena by Ron Rash
38. Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch (graphic novel)
39. Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (graphic novel)
40. City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster (audiobook)
41. The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
42. Lintang and the Pirate Queen by Tamara Felsinger (beta-read)
43. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (audiobook)
44. Tiger’s Curse by Colleen Houck (audiobook)
45. One Simple Idea by Stephen Key
46. The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
47. The Martian by Andy Weir (audiobook)
48. Morning Glories: Volume One by Nick Spender and Joe Eisma (graphic novel)
49. Morning Glories: Volume Two by Nick Spender and Joe Eisma (graphic novel)
50. Avalon High: Volume One by Meg Cabot (graphic novel)
51. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (audiobook)
52. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (audiobook)
53. The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
54. Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
55. A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody
56. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (audiobook)
What books did you love last year?
Happy reading in the New Year, everyone!
Waaaaaaayyyyy sooner than I thought it would happen… the HEARTLESS cover has been revealed (!!!), along with an exclusive new excerpt which gives juuuuuust a hint of budding romance…. *wink*
What is HEARTLESS?
If you’re reading this and thinking, Heartless, who, what? Allow me to clue you in!
HEARTLESS is my first stand-alone novel that will be hitting shelves this November. It’s a prequel to Lewis Carroll’s ALICE’S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND that tells that origin story of the infamous decapitation-happy Queen of Hearts. In some ways it’s a big change from TLC (re: less science, more nonsense; less mechanics, more magic), but it’s still full of adventure, derring-do, and of course… one swoony guy. (At least, *I* swooned and I hope you will too!)
Here’s the official summary:
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland—the infamous Queen of Hearts—she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.
Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the yet-unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend and supply the Kingdom of Hearts with delectable pastries and confections. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next queen.
At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the king’s marriage proposal, she meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the king and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.
So…. what do you think of the cover?!
Look how COOL these turned out!!!
I’m so incredibly in love. Thanks again to Litographs for choosing to highlight Cinder with their wonderful and unique brand, and to our excellent designer, Snigdha! You can now purchase your own Cinder poster, T-shirt, or tote bag straight from the Litographs web site.
Your votes have been cast and tallied, and we have a winner!
The grand prize winner for the Cinder Litographs Contest is… SNIGDHA!
Snigdha’s design is absolutely breathtaking and so full of eye-catching detail. I cannot wait to see it realized as a piece of Litographs art. I will carry my new Cinder tote bag everywhere!! As our grand prize winner, Snigdha has won a $500 cash prize from Litographs, a signed set of all 5 Lunar Chronicles titles, and, of course, her design will be featured on Litographs merchandise.
Best of all, I’m told that the Litographs products featuring Snigdha’s design will be available to purchase by the end of next week!! Just in time for the holidays! I will keep you posted once it’s up on their site.
Additionally, our six finalists will each receive a $50 Litographs gift card and a signed copy of either Cinder or Winter! You will all be contacted soon with information on claiming your prize.
I want to say thank you once again to Litographs for allowing my Lunartics to take over this important first step of their design process, and thanks so much to everyone who entered. There were so many designs that I would have been proud to see turned into Cinder merchandise, and I was once again reminded that I have the most talented and creative readers in the galaxy.
As always, you brilliant, talented Lunartics did not disappoint! We received 90 entries for the Cinder Litographs design contest and they were absolutely amazing. Litographs and I really struggled narrowing it down to these seven finalists!
But—narrow them down we did, and now it’s up to you to choose your favorite. Remember, on top of some phenomenal prizes, the grand prize winner will have their design turned into Litographs T-shirts, posters, and tote bags!
You’ve seen the finalists… now cast your vote using the form below.
Voting will end at midnight PST on Thursday, December 10. Good luck to all the finalists!
(Having trouble viewing the form? Click here.)
1. Cover Reveal. Stars Above: A Lunar Chronicles Collection is coming out on February 2, and yesterday we revealed this stunning cover. I LOOOOOOVE IT!
2. Table of Contents. There will be nine stories in the Stars Above collection… including FIVE that are brand new! Here’s the complete list:
(NEW!) The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.
Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….
The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.
Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.
(NEW!) After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.
(NEW!) The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a young Winter and Jacin playing a game called the Princess and the Guard…
The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.
(NEW!) The Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.
(NEW!) Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century…
(That’s right. We said wedding.)
3. Brand New Excerpt. Want a sneak peek at one of the new stories? We revealed an excerpt from The Keeper which can be read here.
4. Book Tour Schedule. And last in Stars Above news, I’m going on tour again! Here is the schedule of tour stops.
5. Livestreaming. Can’t make it to any of these events? I am delighted to announce that we are working with Books & Books to livestream the event on February 9 so that all Lunartics can be included in the fun! Mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information.
And in Non-Stars Above News…
6. The Cinder Litographs Contest. Entries are posted and they are so incredibly gorgeous! Voting will start later this week, but for now you can see all the entries here.
7. EMOJI KEYBOARD OMG. And last, but by no means least…
HAVE YOU SEEN THE TLC EMOJIS YET???? Because they are THE BEST THING OF ALL TIME.
Now available on iOS and Android, just search for them wherever you get your apps. (Warning: Once you download these, you will feel compelled to send emoji-filled texts to everyone on your contact list. It’s a pretty drastic side-effect.)
I know, I know, we’re all still super buzzed about the WINTER release (I hope you’re all loving it!), and now I have yet more fantastic news!
Over the last four years, I’ve hosted a number of design contests and Lunar Chronicles fans have blown my mind time and again. You’ve made bookmarks, stickers, the official seal of Luna, flags for the six Earthen nations, and you’ve even carved amazing Cinder pumpkins!
And now I am SO THRILLED to announce our most exciting contest yet!
THE CINDER LITOGRAPH DESIGN CONTEST
WHAT IS A LITOGRAPH?
Litographs is a company that makes art from books. Their designs are inspired by the stories themselves, then they stream the book’s text in place of the original pixels, so that the image is composed of the text itself. The result is a work of art you can actually read, and they are stunning.
That art is then printed onto T-shirts, posters, and tote bags for readers and book lovers to enjoy!
Check out www.Litographs.com to see examples of their work.
And now I’m working with them on an original line of merchandise inspired by Cinder, and you—yes, YOU, Lunartics—are going to help us come up with a Cinder-inspired design that will be turned into a line of Litographs products, including T-shirts, tote bags, and posters!
YOUR MISSION: Create a design to be used as the base for the original Cinder Litographs line of merchandise.
– The winning design will be used as the main art for the release of Cinder T-shirts, tote bags, and posters.
– Your design should be inspired by Cinder and/or speak to a key theme, or plot point, in the book. In other words, we want to be able to recall the book from your design. Note that your design should be Cinder specific, not general Lunar Chronicles. (I definitely recommend checking out their other literary lines for ideas and inspiration!)
– Your design should include graphics only. No text please (as the background will consist entirely of text!).
— Please do not use copyrighted images. All artwork should be your own creation.
– Open internationally. (HOORAY! Cheers and Fireworks!)
—Your design must fit the size and style qualifications as in the style guide below. That said, please do be creative!
HOW TO SUBMIT
– Please submit only one design. If you submit more than one design, unfortunately your work will be disqualified.
– Share your design on any social media of your choosing and (optional) tell everyone how excited you are about seeing Cinder represented on some awesome Litographs merchandise!
– Once your design is finished, USE THIS TYPEFORM to submit your design and contact information. Your design will later be posted to my Pinterest page.
– Important: By submitting an entry to this contest you grant rights to use this design in forthcoming merchandise, and in display and promotional materials. Please read the terms of service within the typeform for more information.
– All entries must be received no later than midnight PST on Friday, November 27, 2015.
VOTING AND PRIZES
Once all entries have been uploaded to my Pinterest page, Litographs and I will select the seven finalist (Likes and Repins from fans will be taken into account). Those seven finalists will be posted on this blog and fans and readers will be able to vote for the grand prize winner!
6 FINALISTS will each receive a $50 Litographs gift card. This can be redeemed for posters, T-shirts, tote bags, laptop decals, temporary tattoos, and other great literary goodies, including those soon-to-be available for Cinder! Plus, a signed copy of either Cinder or Winter!
ONE GRAND PRIZE WINNER will receive a $500 cash prize from Litographs, a signed set of all 5 Lunar Chronicles titles, and have his or her design featured on Litographs’ Cinder T-shirts, tote bags, and posters to be available at www.Litographs.com and indie bookstores around the country!!!
I am so, so, so excited to see what you all come up with, and cannot wait to have my own Cinder Litographs tote bag!!!
Happy designing, and GOOD LUCK!